Sam (jevim) wrote,

  • Mood:

Stoopid Drivers

Dee and I spent five hours on the road (and an additional half-hour having dinner) to get home from Vegas yesterday. The most hideous back-up of the trip was caused by rubber-necked drivers checking out flashing lights on the other side of the highway. Funny thing is that there was practically no back-up for the other side - they were making it past their own mess just fine. All told, I think it was about a 15 mile back up with 15 MPH average speed.

Not that there weren't tons of other drivers getting on my nerves. I hate drivers that go 60 in the left-hand lane on a 70 MPH road. Even worse is when the car going 60 is trying to pass a car going 59... no, 61... no, 59... no, 61. My patience for drivers like that kept going down as the drive went on.

Oddly enough, the 15/215 split reminds me of the 405/101 interchange as well: idiots running down the "open" lanes and then trying to squeeze in at the last minute. Well, I didn't make room for the one idiot decided to try getting over as they passed me, and got a beautifully long honk out of them for it.

Once we did get home, though, I got the pleasant joy of discovering one of Katie's food bowls crawling with ants again. This apartment complex has a HIDEOUS ant problem, IMHO. I think we need to look for a pedestal to put the food bowls on, such that we can put ant killer stuff on the legs & underside - where the cats can't get to it - so that their food will be safe. Probably should put their water up on that, too, even though the ants leave water dishes alone.

Monday morning at work, oh joy. I'm hoping that I'll get my head buried in it as the day goes on - it certainly makes the day zoom by faster. But first, now that the venting's done... what did we do in Vegas?

The drive up wasn't terrible - there was an accident on the 15 through the Cajon Pass, and slow traffic before that, but it was smooth sailing from there to Vegas. It took about five hours, total, including a stop for gas. It was about 11pm when we got to the Hilton. At first I wasn't sure where/how to park, so I took a 15 minute space out front to go check in. After that, I pulled back around and let the valet park the car. We were able to bum a wheelchair for Dee from hotel security, no charge, but we were told not to take it off the property. Bummer.

We didn't do anything else Friday night, other than play a few slots. We left the room on Saturday morning and I got a haircut at the hotel salon. After that I wheeled Dee over towards the Valet pick-up and let her play a few slots while I returned the wheelchair to our room. When I got back up there, though, I discovered a surprise from Adam & Kim: tuxedo strawberries & a little card. (Well, I didn't know why we had tuxedo strawberries until I read the card!) THANKS ADAM & KIM! I took the card back down with me to show to Dee, and then we picked up our car and headed out.

Our first stop was the cross-stitch shop Dee had visited in Vegas when we came for the meet-and-greet with Teresa Wentzler, one of Dee's favorite cross-stitch designers. From there we went and grabbed a bit of lunch, and then headed back to the room to unwind for a bit. Around 5pm we headed back down to grab a taxi over to the Rio for dinner & the Penn & Teller show.

We ate at the Carnival World Buffet at the Rio, and I was a bit disappointed with the "great seafood" that our Robbins Bros. associate told us about. But then, flipping through an entertainment guide from the taxi at the table, I discovered that the Rio has two buffets - the other is a seafood specialty buffet. I bet that's what the associate meant when she mentioned a great seafood buffet at the Rio. D'oh! We'll get there some other time I'm sure.

Penn & Teller was a lot of fun. I was surprised that they were out from giving 'autographs' and photo-ops for people. Dee took my picture with each of them - and hopefully those pictures will get shoved into a computer sometime today. I also picked up a "perfectly ordinary deck of cards" and got them to 'autograph' the box, plus a t-shirt. ^_^

On Sunday, we had breakfast (the only breakfast we had this weekend) and checked out of the hotel just a bit before noon. We loaded up our car and drove over to the Bellagio, where we played some slots until my sister & her husband got there from the airport. It was funny, because my sister called right as I won a 'big spin' on a nickel slot - I had played 9 credits (9 lines x 1 nickel each = 45 cents) and "won" about $15.00 on that one. (If only you could go back in time and "scale up" that bet to the 5 "credits" per line max, heh!)

We waited with their luggage while they checked in, and then went up to their room with them. They had a room with a "lake view" at the Bellagio, and the fountain show was running when we got to their room. After that we treated them to lunch at Cafe Bellagio, and then we took our sweet time in saying farewells and getting out on the road.

Well, you know what happened then. (If not... go back to the beginning of the post. ;-)

  • It's The End Of The World As We Know It

    I mean, if a government "shelter in place" order isn't enough to get me to update my journal, what is? Well, it's the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak and…

  • What to do...

    Right now I'm thinking I'll try to go into work on Monday rather than getting a nothing-done start this week. But with my parents having left this…

  • Did you know...

    That's Dee & I's song. :`) I'd never seen the video for it before, we'd only listened to it. I had it as a ringtone for when Dee called me. Back…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.